North Hatley Is A Little Hidden Gem In The Eastern Townships
North Hatley is located about 150 km from Montréal, 15 km from Sherbrooke, 15 minutes from Magog as well as 20 minutes from two American states Maine and Vermont.
Considered one of the most beautiful villages in the province of Québec, North Hatley will charm you with its gorgeous Lake Massawippi, numerous nearby mountains such as Mont Orford, Mont Hatley and Mont Bromont, dozen restaurants and antique stores.
A Brief History Of North Hatley
Situated at the outlet of Lake Massawippi, an Indian name which means “deep waters”, North Hatley was originally named “The Outlet”. This area in Hatley Township was first inhabited by the native peoples of the Abenakis Nation valley who hunted, fished and held ceremonies in the area and later also traded with settlers.
In 1792, after the area was opened for settlement by Lieutenant-Governor Alured Clarke Ebenezer Hovey, a militia Captain from Connecticut arrived in the area and became the first white settler to see Lake Massawippi. Hovey travelled to Quebec City where he met Colonel Henry Cull; together they petitioned the Crown for a grant of land which they received with a Company of Associates on March 25, 1803; this tract was surveyed and named “Hatley” for a town in England.
From 1792 until 1803 there were several New England families (mostly squatters) who had settled in the area; these included the family of Ephraim Wadleigh, who bought a large lot in the northern end of Hatley Township. Here his son Taylor Wadleigh became the first settler to build a house in The Outlet, circa 1828.
By 1896 there was a post office, mills, stores, a school and a small collection of dwellings in the village. In 1886 Dr. and Mrs, Powhatan Clarke of Baltimore visited North Hatley and soon other Americans arrived, helping to turn the village into a tourist location with cottages, boarding houses and inns which contributed to the growth of the village. In 1897 the village was incorporated and set aside as North Hatley. The village’s Centennial was celebrated in 1997.