With the wonderful St-Valentine around the corner, we want to share with you one of our favourite recipe: our delicious homemade thin pancakes. We pride ourselves with serving an authentic homemade breakfast. We love to experiment with various foods and recipes. However, some of our recipes are past to us from our parents and our grand-parents. It was passed on to Iryna by her grand-mother back in Kiev, Ukraine.
Making thin pancakes is really easy and it does not require many ingredients nor too much of your time.
To make your own homemade thin pancakes you will need:
- 4 eggs
- 4 table spoons of white flour
- 2 cups or 500 ml of milk (you can use regular milk, soya based or almond based milk)
- 1/2 tea spoon of salt
- 1 table spoon of oil (canola oil or grape seed oil)
Now that you have all the ingredients ready, here is how to prepare them:
- Break the eggs and empty them in a relatively large bowl and add the white flour.
- Start mixing the two ingredients. You can mix with a traditional whisk or use a stand alone mixer.
- As you go, start slowly incorporating the milk to the mix. That way the mix becomes even and smooth.
- After add the salt and the oil to the mix.
That’s it. Your mix is ready for action!
Turn on the stove to medium heat and take a large pan (we use a 18cm pan). Before adding the pancake mix, add a little olive oil on the pan and spread it evenly. Using a ladle, pour the mix and spread it evenly so it covers the whole surface of the pan.
Depending on the heat, turn the pancake after about one minute and a half. The other side of the pancake will be ready much faster. Once the pancake is done, put it on a plate and begin the next one. To have the best result, we recommend adding a small amount of canola oil every time before pouring the mix.
It is that simple. You can eat these pancakes with fruits, maple sirup, sour cream, or you can even stuff them with grilled mushrooms and cheese. The possibilities are limitless.
We hope you try this recipe and let us know about your final product.
How are you celebrating your St-Valentine this year? Share you story in the comments below.
Iryna & Mykola